Monday, June 7

Good Writing is a Good Thing!

I've just started reading Little Bee by Chris Cleave.  And I had to share this quote with you:

...I ask you right here please to agree with me that a scar is never ugly.  That is what the scar makers want us to think.  But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them.  We must see all scars as beauty.  Okay?  This will be our secret.  Because take it form me, a scar does not form on the dying.  A scar means, I survived.
In a few breaths' time I will speak some sad words to you.  But you must hear them the same way we have agreed to see scars now.  Sad words are just another beauty.  A sad story means, this story teller is alive.  The next thing you know, something fine will happen to her, something  marvelous, and then she will turn around and smile. (9)


Marvelous indeed!

1 comment:

  1. Not really your point - but the scar bit reminded me of this Native artist that gathered women together to create their scars out of canvas or animal hide and then sew them up to represent their healing: http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1193143

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails