Sunday, May 2

Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins of Awesomeness

My mom used to make these muffins when I was growing up.  They were banana oatmeal chocolate chip.  They were wonderful.  She'd make them on the weekends, in the morning, and I'd wake up to the aroma of their baking as it wafted down the hall.  It would draw me out of my bed as a teenager when, under normal circumstances, I would stay there all morning. Sometimes, if I wake up in just the right comfy, sleep-in state, I think I smell them, and I'm right back in my bedroom at my parents' house.  On a really delusional day, I imagine that my mom has come to my house and is baking them for me (moms out there with teenagers - don't underestimate the long-term effects of these kinds of loving actions!).
When I make muffins, these are the muffins I make.  In fact, these are really the only thing that comes to mind when I think "muffin."  There is no other type of muffin in my mind.  Just these, and their powerful attachment to my mom and my home growing-up.  Whenever I have bananas that have gotten too ripe to be eaten, these muffins are what I make.
I had some of those over-ripe bananas last week.  For a couple of days I looked at them and thought "it's time to make some mom muffins."  When I finally got a chance, we didn't have any milk.  After groceries the next day, I thought "gotta get to those muffins..."  Again, it took a few days.  But tonight, after Haydon went to bed, I started mashing those bananas, mixed in the eggs, the oil, then realized...we were out of milk.  Again.  I contemplated the breastmilk in the fridge.  St. James offered to go the store.  I completed the muffins.  I typed up the recipe for a friend who had asked for it recently.  As I was typing, I realized....I forgot the baking soda.
After a week's worth of anticipation, and an extra trip to the store on a Sunday night, I now have a beautiful batch of banana oatmeal chocolate chip pucks.  Bummer.
Here's the recipe, in case you ever want to mix up a memory ;)

Banana-Oatmeal-Chocolate-Chip Muffins of awesomeness

1.5 c    all-purpose flour
1 c       rolled oats
1/2 c    sugar
2 tsp    baking powder
1 tsp    baking soda (crap...I didn't put this in mine just now.  boo-urns)
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c    chocolate chips

2        eggs
1/4 c  cooking oil
1/4 c  milk
3        bananas, mashed

Mix wet ingredients, set aside.  Mix dry ingredients in large bowl, add wet ingredients.  Mix just enough to moisten.  Bake at 350 F 10-14 min (when tester comes out clean).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails